Your success is important to us!
Changes are made to Federal Student Aid regulations yearly that impact student eligibility. The Alamo Colleges Student Financial Aid Department (SFA) prepared this guide to assist you in developing strategies to successfully apply for, receive, and maintain financial aid eligibility. Let us know if you would like additional information or clarification of any of these points.
NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW
|APPLICATION PROCESSING GUARANTEE DATES
||Processing Guarantee Date
||May 1, 2021
||November 1, 2021
1. The Higher Education Act and current regulations require that a student maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to be eligible to receive financial aid. Schools are required to periodically evaluate whether students are meeting SAP to ensure their academic standing is consistent with graduation requirements. Alamo Colleges District SAP requirements are:
- Maintain a 2.0 minimum overall GPA.
- Complete a minimum of 66.6% of all classes in which they enroll.
- Complete the program of study before exceeding 99 hours of attempted college level course work.
SAP is evaluated after every spring semester. Students who do not meet. SAP are placed on suspension status indicating all future semesters’ eligibility is immediately suspended. An appeal process exists for students with extenuating circumstances which impacted their ability to successfully complete their courses. All federal and state financial aid awards for future semesters are cancelled for students placed on financial aid suspension or academic dismissal.
2. Students who submit all required documentation by the dates noted above, and meet all eligibility requirements, are guaranteed to have their financial aid application processed by start of classes for the designated enrollment period. Student loans for first-time borrowers require additional processing time as federal regulation requires loans for first-time borrowers to be delayed until 30 days of the semester has elapsed.
3. Students submitting documentation after the Processing Guarantee Dates must be prepared to either:
- pay their tuition bill in full or
- enter into the Alamo Colleges District’s payment plan with the Bursar’s Office.
The Alamo Colleges District continues processing all applications submitted after the Processing Guarantee Dates and will make every effort to award students by the start of classes. However, there is no guarantee that all applications can be reviewed, completed, awarded, and paid prior to the Payment Deadline. Students who qualify will receive their financial aid eligibility refund amount when funds become available. All eligibility requirements remain in effect.
4. The Alamo Colleges District’s student aid is awarded from a student’s Primary College which must also be listed on the completed FAFSA form; but students may enroll at any of the colleges and receive aid based on the combined number of hours enrolled. During Northeast Lakeview College’s (NLC) accreditation process, students who are requesting financial aid must process their FAFSA through one of the other colleges in the Alamo Colleges District.
5. Student application data must be reviewed if a student is “Selected for Verification” (SFV) by the U. S. Department of Education-Central Processing System. The verification process is tailored to each student’s individual requirements. All required documents are completed through ProVerifier, located at the link in the student’s ACES account. Students should be prepared for the verification process by allowing six (6) weeks after all documents have been submitted.
6. Two easy and convenient options are available to obtain copies of federal tax return (tax return transcript) forms: by phone at 1-800-908-9946 or online at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript which includes both the option to receive the transcript online or by mail.
7. The student’s full name and Social Security Number must match exactly as listed on both the ApplyTexas and FAFSA applications. New students and those changing home colleges within the Alamo Colleges District should confirm their ApplyTexas status and FAFSA applications with the appropriate Student Services department at their primary college.
8. All students receive access to enroll, check grades, and conduct business with the Alamo Colleges District through the ACES student portal. Students have access 24/7 to view their financial aid application and document status in ACES. Additionally, messages and email notifications from SFA are routinely updated in ACES email. A Financial Aid ACES tutorial is available online, and the MyPage tab provide quick access to application status.
9. In order to access the MyPage tab to check financial aid status and email, students must have an active ApplyTexas application on file that designates their primary college as Northeast Lakeview, Northwest Vista, Palo Alto, St. Philip’s or San Antonio College, must submit official transcript(s), and must be admitted. Current students already have an active ApplyTexas application.
10. All registration and payment deadlines as listed in the Registration/Payment Calendar will be adhered to.
11. The Federal PELL program eligibility amount is based on the Federal Pell Grant Payment Schedule issued by the U.S. Department of Education and the student’s EFC (Expected Family Contribution). The Federal Pell award listed is based on Full-time enrollment, and the amount that credits into the student’s account is based on the actual number of hours enrolled, e.g., fulltime (12+); three-quarter (9-11); halftime (6-8) and less-than-halftime (1-5) credit hours. State Aid programs are also awarded based on Full-time enrollment, and the amount that credits is based on actual enrollment. State aid is not paid on less than halftime enrollment
12. The Federal Pell and some State Grant programs recalculate the paid amount (up or down) whenever students add/drop classes through the semester Census Date. Registration purges are based on outstanding balances; students with aid credited to their account are at risk of having registrations dropped for an outstanding balance when:
- classes are added and the SFA is not informed or able to increase a Pell Grant payment
- classes are dropped and the SFA has recalculated the Pell Grant downward resulting in a balance owed
13. Federal Pell and State financial aid awards do not increase when students enroll in Flex II or other session classes after the census date of the full-semester. Enrollment for all courses in all parts of the term must be completed before the Census Date of the 16-week part of term.
14. Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) - Federal Student Aid (FSA) funds are awarded to students under the assumption they will attend school for the entire semester. If a student withdraws from all classes (or earns all “F” grades), the award amount must be recalculated. If the withdrawal occurs before the attendance in a minimum of 60% of an enrollment period, the award amount is recalculated to determine the amount of funds the student did not earn. The unearned proportion of aid paid plus the tuition owed to the college will be repaid by the student.
15. Financial aid funds and tuition refunds are issued through the RefundSelect program. Visit Alamo Colleges Business Office Refunds for Information on the Refund Options, Refund Schedule, New Cash Management Rules and the Heartland Payment Services Contract.