Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
    Palo Alto College
  May 29, 2024
Palo Alto College Schedule/Catalog 2010-2011 
Catalog Navigation
Palo Alto College Schedule/Catalog 2010-2011 [Archived Catalog]

PAC Registration Tips


• Getting Started

• Most Frequently Asked Questions

• Be Advised

• Where Can i Get … ?

• Where Can I Go For Help?

Getting Started is as Easy as GET3


GET 1.  Get Admitted!
The Welcome Advising Center is your first stop and “link for success.”  If you have questions about any aspect of the registration process, contact the Center at 486-3100.

A. APPLY ONLINE in the Welcome Advising Center or any computer through APPLY TEXAS at

B. BRING THESE MATERIALS WITH YOU to the Welcome Advising Center (Palomino Center, Room 111)
New Students           Official High School or GED transcript
Transfer Students     Official transcripts from last college attended
Former Students       None, if Palo Alto College is your last school of attendance, your transcripts should be on file.
Transcripts can be requested in writing or in person from any high school/district office. If you attended a school out-of-state, then transcripts should be requested following the procedures of the respective school.  GED transcripts are available through the state education office at Texas Education Agency (512) 463-9292.  Some colleges forward transcripts electronically, others provide a printed copy. Palo Alto College will accept hand-carried transcripts.

Proof of Residency:  In order to verify entitlement of Bexar County and/or Texas residence classification, students are required to provide acceptable documentation such as Texas Driver’s license and Texas Vehicle registration indicating at least one year’s residence in Bexar County and/or Texas prior to registration.

GET 2.  Get Tested!
Scores must be on file with the institution before enrolling unless a student qualifies for a state-determined exemption. Test Scores accepted at Palo Alto College include SAT, ACT, TAKS, Accuplacer, ASSET, and the THEA/TASP. Scores must be less than 3 years old.

Testing is by appointment only and a fee applies. Some sample test questions can be accessed through the PAC Testing Center website at

GET 3. Get Advised and Register!
New, new transfer, and former students attend a Group Advisement session scheduled through the Welcome Advising, Assessment or Counseling Centers.  All students must be admitted and have test scores on file with the Testing Center prior to making an appointment. Bring copies of your high school and/or college and university transcripts to the advisement session. A counselor or advisor will help you select your courses and register for classes.

Most Frequently Asked Questions


 Is there an orientation course for new students?  Do I have to take it?
Yes, Palo Alto College requires all students entering the college with fewer than 15 college level credit hours to enroll in a Student Development course.  Two courses, SDEV 0170: College Success and SDEV 0370: Foundations for College Learning, satisfy this requirement. The course includes strategies every student needs to be successful in college – time management, test-taking, critical thinking, stress management, learning strategies, career decisions, tips on student rights and responsibilities, and assistance with declaring a major and course advisement for the subsequent semester.

What is the difference between an orientation course and orientation required for Internet and telecourses?
The orientation course requirement is fulfilled by the SDEV 0170 or 0370.  The Internet courses and telecourses require students to email their instructors, access a website, or attend a meeting on campus.  Follow the specific instructions listed under the course and section in which you are enrolled.

Where can I register by computer?
New, transfer and former students will be registered through the Group Advisement process.  Once you have been advised, you may register by using any computer with access to the Internet.  The college recommends that you use the Internet since it allows you to print your schedule and a tuition bill.  The Welcome Advising Center (Palomino Center, Room 111) provides computers you can use and staff who are available to assist you.  Group Advising is required if you are a new student.

Who is my counselor/advisor?  Can I see a counselor if I have some general questions to ask first?
Students who have questions about the registration process and do not know where to begin can go to the Welcome Advising Center in the Palomino Center, Room 111, or call 486-3120 and press extension 1 for registration information.  As a general rule, counselors and advisors see new, transfer, and former students and currently enrolled undecided majors.  Faculty advisors see currently enrolled students who are declared majors.  In order to better serve students  and cut down on wait time, students who are seeking advisement are usually seen by appointment or at a scheduled group advisement session.  Currently enrolled students should check with their respective major to determine how advisement is being conducted.  A list of faculty advisors is available here.  Students are encouraged to visit other student support services departments for specific information.
What is my student ID and PIN?
When using the online registration system, you will be guided to this page to get information about obtaining your ID and password.

Will someone help me fill out my FAFSA?  Can I apply for financial aid at anytime during the semester and what if I do not qualify for any

Yes, the Student Financial Services Office will assist you in completing your FAFSA.  The college encourages students to submit their application online.  Computers and staff are available by appointment in the Welcome Advising Center to assist you in entering your FAFSA online.  Priority time to apply for a FAFSA is three months before the start of the semester; if you apply after that time, you must make arrangements to make your tuition and fees payment by other means because any financial aid you receive may arrive after the payment deadline.

A student can still apply for the FAFSA after the semester has already started to determine if they are eligible for Pell reimbursement.  If a student does not qualify for a Pell grant, then the student can inquire with the Student Financial Services Office about information regarding other available grants, federal work-study, student loans and scholarships.  Summer applications are separate and available on April 1.  To avoid being dropped from your classes, be prepared to make other payment arrangements (i.e., out of pocket) before the tuition payment deadline.

Institutional and external scholarships are available through numerous sources.  The first step should be to check with PAC’s Student Financial Services Office and the Center for Academic Transitions for scholarships and deadlines.  You probably also will want to check with other resources such as high school, employer, clubs and organizations, and the Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation.  Information is available on the PAC website at

When do I have to pay?
Payment information is located in the Registration Link on the left navigation bar.  Pay close attention – your registration is cancelled if you do not meet the deadline.  Several payment options are available.

Students may pay online by credit card.  Those wishing to pay in person must see the Bursar’s Office in the Palomino Center.  Students seeking financial aid should work directly with Student Financial Services to determine eligibility, award amount and payment status.

Be Advised!


The advising mission at Palo Alto College is to provide a comprehensive academic planning program for students.

Advising facilitates programs and services which support undergraduate curricula, educational planning, and experiential learning.   

Our Be Advised! Campaign encourages currently enrolled students with 30 and 50 completed hours to seek advisement.  

Optimum academic advising includes:
- planning an educational program consistent with the student’s interests and abilities,
- conveying accurate information regarding curricula and academic majors,
- describing and making referrals to appropriate campus resources,
- exploring career related goals,
- seeking experiential learning opportunities, and
- developing a positive relationship between student and faculty advisor based on mutual competence and trust.

Although all advisors, faculty or otherwise, are always available to help students with their educational plans, there is a period each semester in which we focus on faculty advising for currently enrolled students with declared majors.

You will find a list of faculty advisors by major here.


Where Can I Get … ?


 … a campus map
Campus map is located online.

… a catalog?
A catalog contains policies, regulations, procedures, and course content.   It contains prerequisites and other requirements to enroll in a course.  A catalog is available on the College’s website at  No printed copies are available for students.

… a copy of my bill?
Copies of bills can be picked up in the Bursar’s Office.  Bills can be accessed online through the Student Services web page.  The Welcome Advising Center can help you locate and print your bill.

…  a copy of my transcript?
There is no fee for a transcript from Palo Alto College.   A student may obtain copies of his/her transcript by completing a transcript request and mailing or faxing it to the Records & Registration Office.  Transcripts also may  be requested in person at the Palomino Center, Room 118; by mail to Office of Records & Registration, Palo Alto College, 1400 W. Villaret Blvd., San Antonio, TX 78224; or by fax at (210) 486-3714.

A request to have a transcript sent to another college or university may be ordered by filling out the online transcript request available at the Student Services web page. Unofficial transcripts are available at this webpage.

…  a copy of my schedule?
Copies of schedules can be obtained online at the Student Services web page or in the Welcome Advising Center (Palomino Center, Room 111).

… a student bus card?
Student Discounted Bus IDs are available starting the first week of the semester in the Student Life Office.  Semester bus passes can be purchased through the Palo Alto College Bursar’s Office.  

…  a degree plan?
Degree  and transfer plans are available through the Center for Academic Transitions in the Student Center or online.

… my textbooks for classes?
Textbooks and supplies are available in the Palo Alto College bookstore in the Student Center, area bookstores and online through various websites.  Be sure you are purchasing the correct book and edition for the course and section in which you are enrolled.  
… access to computers to use for my class assignments?
The Ozuna Center has working labs where students are able to access e-mail, type papers, work on Internet classes, and more.

…  childcare? Are there childcare tuition scholarships?

The Ray Ellison Family Center is the on-site child care program for the Palo Alto College community.  It is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.  Care is provided for children ages 21 months to 5 years of age.  Full-time and part-time schedules are available.  Hours of operation are Monday-Friday from 6:50 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.  (Open Monday-Thursday only during summer sessions.) Teachers are trained and certified in the field of Early Childhood Education as well as First Aid/CPR.  Enrollment is on a semester basis.  Limited financial assistance is available for students; applications are available at the Center and must be submitted each semester.  For more information call 486-3500, email to, or visit our website:

Where Can I Go for Help?



We’re here to help!  Information is only a click away!  Students are encouraged to access additional information through the Palo Alto College website at

WELCOME ADVISING CENTER – Palomino Center, Room 111, 486-3100
•    Your first stop for new student information and registration assistance
•    Referrals to all Palo Alto College programs and services
•    Online FAFSA assistance with appointment
•    Online at:

CAREER SERVICES – Center for Academic Transitions, Student Center Room 101,  486-3131
•    Your questions about careers can be answered through Career Services.
•    For links to career resources, visit:

CHILDCARE – REFC, 486-3500,
•    The Ray Ellison Family Center provides on-campus child care services for children 21 months to 5 years old.  
•    Flexible schedules and fees are available.  
•    Students with children enrolled in the Ray Ellison Family Center may qualify for financial assistance.   Applications are available at the Center and must be submitted each semester.
•    Visit us on the web at
COUNSELING CENTER – Counseling & Support Services Center, 486-3333.
•    Confidential and professional academic, career and personal counseling
•    Student advising for new students and undeclared majors
•    For additional information and services visit the website:

DISABILITY SUPPORT SERVICES – Palomino Center, Room 116, 486-3020 / TTY, 486-3022
•     Documentation of disability and an intake evaluation appointment are required prior to approval of accommodations for placement testing and classroom accommodations.
•     Begin the process EARLY!  Process can take 2 - 3 weeks.
•     Information & forms at

•    A list of required documentation is available on the web at

JOB RESOURCES – Center for Academic Transitions, Student Center Room 101, 486-3131
•    Workstudy placement
•    Job placement assistance
•    Job Fair information and internship information
•    Resume writing assistance
•    Mock interviews

•    Access to library materials and databases
•    Information Resource Certificate program (free)
•    Information Concourse (computing resources for PAC students)

PASSkey Program – Palomino Center, Room 107, 486-3180
•    Are you a first-generation college student, low-income, or do you have a disability? Check out the PASSkey Program at
•     Personal, academic, career, and financial counseling and advisement with specialized PASSkey counselors
•     Cultural and educational field trips

•     Intramurals    
•     Extramurals
•     Recreational Activities & Sports
•     For a complete listing of sports and activities, come by Room 101C in the Gym.

SCHOLARSHIP SUPPORT SERVICES – Palomino Center, Room 111, 486-3121
•    Provide information on various scholarship opportunities available to students
•    Assist with scholarship applicants
•    For more scholarship info, click on

STUDENT LIFE OFFICE – Student Center, Room 100, 486-3125
•    Informational clearinghouse for all campus activities
•    Advisement on the formation of clubs/student organizations
•    Promotion of student involvement in campus governance
•    Development of interpersonal and leadership skills
•    Advisement for off-campus and on-campus resources
•    Scheduling and planning of special events on campus
•    Budget advisement for club funding
•    Advisement and interpretation of College policies
•    Assistance in event planning
•    Responsible for on-campus posting
•    Issues lockers in the Student Center
•    Issues discount bus cards
•    Oversight of the Student Services Fee Advisory Committee
STUDENT HEALTH CENTER – Student Center, Room 129, 486-3222    
•    First Aid and Emergency Services
•    Health Promotional Activities
•    Classroom Presentations    
•    Health-Related Issues Counseling
•    Health Education Programs    
•    Over-the-Counter Medications
•    Employee Accident Reports    
•    Student Insurance

TESTING CENTER – Brazos Hall, Room 100, 486-3444
•    A list of exams offered and links to sample questions are available on the web at

TRANSFER SERVICES – Center for Academic Transitions, Student Center, Room 101, 486-3131
•     Your questions about transfer programs can be answered
•     For links to great transfer resources, click on

Math Learning Center – Gutierrez LL 105, 486-3273
•    Tutoring is provided by Instructional Skills Specialist and peer tutors.
•    Tutoring is provided on a walk-in basis.
•    Course reviews are provided for Remedial Courses and College Algebra before final exams.
•    Review sessions can be provided for other courses but are subject to staff availability.
•    Math Learning Center also provides concept worksheets that students can take to review theory.
•    Provides calculator workshops upon instructor or student requests.
•    Students have computer/Internet access for Mathematics-based studies.
•    Calculator lending program available for students enrolled in 0303 Intermediate Algebra or above while supplies last.
•    Visit us at

Reading Learning Center – Gutierrez LL 111, 486-3262
•    Individual or group tutoring is provided by a Reading Instructional Skills Specialist.
•    Tutoring can be provided on either a scheduled or a walk-in basis.
•    Visit us at

Science Learning Center – Gutierrez LL 115, 486-3281, and Brazos Hall 126, 486-3232
We help students succeed in their science classes!
•    Tutoring on a walk-in basis by Instructional Specialists and Tutors.
•    Science models & materials.
•    Computer-assisted instruction, Internet access to support course work.
•    Practice lab exams.
•    Find us at

Writing Assistance Center – Gutierrez LL 121, 486-3257
•    Individual tutoring provided by an Instructional Skills Specialist and writing tutors.
•    Assistance available for writing assignments across all disciplines.
•    Tutoring sessions are by appointment or on a walk-in basis.
•    Assistance via email may be coordinated.
•    Reference manuals and writing resources are available.
•    Visit us at

VETERANS AFFAIRS – Palomino Center, Room 115, 486-3111
•     Veterans must be CERTIFIED EACH SEMESTER. Submit a class schedule to the V.A. Office as soon as you have registered.
•     Veterans must be prepared to pay tuition and fees until benefits are approved.
•     Additional information is provided at